Indigestion is basically caused due to consumption of spicy foods or unhygienic food thus causing disturbance in the acidity level of the body. In order to control the acidity level of the body there are certain remedies.
Given below are all the acid indigestion remedies:
- Anise and lavender tea: Anise and lavender are medicinal herbs. Take equal amounts of aniseed and lavender and mix them well. Take two to three cups of of pure water and boil it. Add a teaspoon of the herbal mixture into the boiling water. Let the tea cool down or let it remain for 4 to 5 minutes. Then strain the tea and add a bit of honey into it as a sweetener and drink this medicinal tea once in the morning and once before going to bed. This is an excellent remedy to cure acid indigestion problems.
- Ginger tea: A strong ginger tea helps you fight against acidity. Ginger contains gingerols, shogaols and phenols. These contents impacts the digestive enzyme action and smoothen the digestive system. They act as a reducing agent to decrease the acidity by reducing the amount of gastric secretions and increasing the amount of bile. Ginger tea should be drunk when it is hot.
- Fennel tea: Fennel is a medicinal herb. It contains an oil called anithole. It acts as a medicinal drug to our body. It is one of the essential ailments to cure acidity and gas problems. Crush the fennel seeds and add these crushed seeds in boiling water. Then allow the mixture to simmer for about 5 to 6 minutes and then strain and drink it after adding a little amount of honey to it. Adults can drink about 3 cups of fennel tea each day during meals.
- Marshmallow root tea: Marshmallow is a medicinal plant and is used to cure digestive issues and acidity problems since ages. It contains a substance called mucilage that reduces irritation in the stomach. It has the property to cover up the damaged tissues thus reducing the acidity level of the body. However diabetic patients, people taking insulin and those who are on medication should consult their doctors before having marshmallow root tea as they may hinder the blood sugar level of the body. Add one and half teaspoons of dried marshmallow root into boiling water. Leave it for 5 to 10 minutes. Add honey into it and drink around 3 cups each day.
- Slippery Elm: Slippery elm is a medicinal tree. It’s bark is used to cure acid indigestion. The bark of slippery elm tree contains mucilage as marshmallow and has all the properties of marshmallow to cure acid indigestion. The negative part of it is that it is not yet been experienced on pregnant and nursing women so might prove harmful to them. Apart from this, diabetic patients should consult their doctors before having this.1 tablespoon of powdered slippery elm bark should be added in 1 cup of boiling water and should be left for 3 to 5 minutes to cool down. Add a sweetener to it and then drink it.
- Peppermint: Peppermint is also a very good medicinal herb for acid reflux action (acid indigestion) and stomach indigestion problems. It helps to reduce ulcers and gas.
- Asafetida: A person suffering from acid indigestion can have a pinch of asafetida with Luke warm water and drink this liquid in order to get relief from it.
- Clove and cardamom: You can chew clove and cardamom in order to cure acid indigestion. They contain a certain kind of oil that reduces the acidity in the stomach and helps in eliminating the harmful toxins from the body thus reducing the acidity level.
A second method apart from herbal remedies to treat acid indigestion is intake of digestive enzymes. Digestive enzymes helps the food to move from the stomach to the small intestine quicker and more efficiently thus increasing the digestion process of the body.
When a person eats a very heavy meal he should have digestive enzyme that digests the food in the body very quickly. If food is not digested properly or takes a long time to digest then it remains in the stomach thus causing acidity and acid reflux.
Acid indigestion is commonly seen in older people. As you get older your stomach becomes weak and the ability to produce hydrochloric acid to digest proteins also reduces. This leads to acid indigestion in the stomach thus irritating you and causing a burning sensation in your chest.
Digestive enzymes contain components like pepsin, HCL and betaine, which helps to digest proteins in your body thus curing acidity. Papaya digestive enzymes is also a good digestive enzyme. A content called papain that is present in papaya helps to reduce acid indigestion. In order to know which digestive enzyme is the best suitable to your body you may definitely consult a doctor.
Home remedies to cure acid indigestion:
- Cold milk: Cold milk is very good to cure acid indigestion. Cold milk normalizes the pH level in the stomach and reduces the burning sensation in the stomach and in the chest to a great extent thus relieving you from acid indigestion.
- Coconut water: It is nature’s gift and a natural remedy to cure acidity. It helps to reduce the harmful toxins from the body. Drinking coconut water on a daily basis helps to reduce acid indigestion.
- Calcium bi carbonate: Calcium bi carbonate also known as sweet soda neutralizes the acid level of the body.
You need not have to worry if you are suffering from acid indigestion. All the above mentioned acid indigestion remedies will definitely help you gain relief from acid indigestion.