So can bleach cure toenail fungus effectively? Toenail fungus, also known as Onychomycosis is a common fungal infestation that affects a toe’s nail bed. The condition occurs when fungi affects the skin on the toes and around the nail bed leading to small white spots under the nail that eventually spread to the entire nail. The infestation causes discoloured toenails and often makes the nails weak.
Toenail fungus is a fairly mild and non-serious condition. However, it is aesthetically unappealing and can make it impossible and unsightly to wear your favourite sandals and open- toes shoes.
Studies show that around 5- 10% of adults will experience the condition at some point in their lives. However, the good news is that toenail fungus can be easily treated using normal bathroom and kitchen products. One popular and effective treatment for toenail fungus is bleach.
Can Bleach Cure Toenail Fungus?
Bleach is a common home remedy for toenail fungus. Using a bleach solution can be monotonous and time consuming however; it’s very effective way if done right. The solution penetrates the toe and kills the fungus.
Steps To Making Bleach Work On Fungus
You just need to dilute the bleach and soak your feet in the solution. You will need a bucket, bleach and toenail clippers.
- Start by clipping your toenails as short as possible to expose more of the affected area to the bleach. File the toenail from the top for about 1- 2 centimetres. Take care not to file too much as you may end up going through the nail which is awfully painful
- Mix one capful (around one tablespoonful) of bleach with one gallon of Luke warm water. Immerse your feet in the solution, leave for around 30 minutes one time weekly to get rid of new or developing toenail fungus. If your case is severe, you can soak your feet for 15 to 20 minutes on a daily basis with a stronger solution of one part bleach to ten parts warm water.
- Continue with the procedure for the next 2- 3 months or until you are completely healed. If your feet are sensitive to the bleach, you can use a bleach pen to apply the bleach directly to your toenails
- For extreme cases, you can leave the solution for the entire day before refreshing the coat just before you go to sleep
Getting rid of the infestation can take from a few weeks to several months depending on how severe the condition is. It’s important to use the bleach solution correctly as stopping the treatment abruptly or using the solution irregularly can make the infection come back even stronger than before.
If the infection is severe, a stronger solutions can be used, but it should be applied directly to the nail as its more likely to irritate the skin. You can use a mixture of one part bleach to ten parts warm water. This strong solution is most times more effective as it gives the bleach adequate time to penetrate the toe and attack the fungus.
Once you have the condition under control, you can use the solution weekly to prevent a recurrence and to keep your feet healthy.
How Bleach Actually Works On Toenail Fungus
Bleach is a popular household cleanser and sterilizer. A powerful antiseptic works against microbes, bleach is an effective and popular treatment for toenail fungus.
The solution is readily absorbed into the affected skin area where it works quickly to get rid of the fungus. When used correctly you will be able to see significant changes after a few weeks or months.
Benefits Of Doing It This Way
- Ease of use- You just need to mix one tablespoon of bleach with a gallon of water and you have a powerful toenail fungus treatment solution. Anyone can do it
- Effectiveness- Bleach is a great antiseptic that works against a variety of microbes. It has been used for decades as a great buster. You can rest assured that you are using an effective solution to cure your condition. It’s a popular treatment option that has been used for many years
- Cost effective- Compared to other medications and remedies available, bleach is a much cheaper option. You can mix in at home without consulting your doctor. In addition using the solution does not cause side effects like other antimicrobial prescription medicines
Evidence from people who have used the solution confirms that bleach is effective in curing toenail fungus. It’s not only cheap, readily available but its highly effective and very easy to use.